Linna Drehmel(Louisa Albrect)









Wednesday, November 30, 2011

CHALLENGE: CONFESSION #1 STEPHEN H. KING

IT IS MY PLEASURE TO BRING YOU THE FIRST OF MY CONFESSION GUESTS STEPHEN H. KING:


My best work and my worst work--what an interesting question, Linna!

My worst work is pretty easy. At least, it's easy to my humblest of opinions. If, of course, you only count what I can remember; I'm sure I wrote some stinkers back in high school and college, but the slabs those were chiseled into have since been misplaced. Thus, I'm left with recent writing, and in this case it's specifically a story I wrote for the first NaNoWriMo I did back in 2007. It sounded good at the time, of course, but being a newbie author I made every mistake in the book. Literally, I think. I've still got the manuscript and occasionally go back to torture myself. Worse, I didn't finish, because when I got close to the end I realized I was really only writing an adult version of Ender's Game with me as Ender, and the world certainly didn't need that same plot line twice. Thus, I have an unfinished crappy manuscript that's full of crap.

My best work is a little harder, as I'm pretty proud of several things I've written recently. My favorite, though, is a very short (598 words) story I wrote for a contest that I didn't win. In it, I took a situation that actually happened to me and changed it around a bit, adding some good stuff and taking out the boring parts. It's called The Old Miner and features--well, an old miner, of course--who died in my presence and gave me the secret to finding his special mining spot. Only I never went and looked there, and the story is meant to kind of tell why. I love the way the story shows the emotion and the circumstances without telling them, which has been one of my chief challenges to accomplish as a writer.

There--my writing soul is bared for you!

-TOSK (The Other Stephen King)
 
 
 
 
STEPHEN H. KING IS THE AUTHOR OF THE BOOK: CATACLYSM RETURN OF THE GODS. PUBLISHED BY TRESTLE PRESS. YOU CAN FIND THIS BOOK ON
 

No comments:

Post a Comment