Linna Drehmel(Louisa Albrect)









Monday, January 16, 2012

Tuesdays Tale: The Twitter Bug

Hello my name is Dr. Eve Albrecht. I am the head of the Anthropology team. It is my wish that someone out there will one day discover the truth about the ‘Twitter bug’. I don’t think I have long to live as my mind is turning to mush as we speak and I think the MIB have just pulled up in front of my house.

About a year and a half ago I was called out by my university to Antarctica. Now I know you wonder why in the world an anthropologist would be called out there where there is no life no culture. Well this is where my story kicks in. Please bear with me as I am not an author, I am a scientist.

A team of geologist went out to take some routine core samples and the samples were brought in to my universities field unit in Antarctica, it is a department that I don’t see. When they opened the core sample there were many layers of ice and snow and then rock. But just before the lay of rock there was what looked to be a modern day button of sorts with the letter T on it.

When the geology team freaked out and could not figure out where it came from or how it got there. They called me in. I have degrees in both anthropology and archaeology. It would seem strange that something so modern looking would be down so far in an ice and rock core sample.

My first reaction is that it was a prank from an intern. But I could tell by the look on my colleges face that he thought that this was no joke! So I promised that I would take this in to have it radio carbon dated. This is when the shock came in….This button tested at being 10,000 years old, and yet further testing shows that the button is in fact made from modern plastics and dyes.

Now me as a 38 year old archaeologist/anthropologist I do not have time for doing much socializing on the inter net so I don’t know much about social web sites. I stick to research sites and keep all my work in word doc files and that is it.

One night after I got back, I took my work home and I had a digital image of the button on my laptop as I was working and my 15 year old daughter came up behind me and told me that the picture was that of a ‘Twitter’ button. Upon asking her what she meant she told me that twitter was a social web site that a lot of her friends at school loved, but she had not got on it yet (she said she liked facebook better whatever that is).

Not understanding what……………………hang on I have to hide it think the MIB are here……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..ok I am back. I think they are gone. Anyway I sent the image of the button to a friend of mine in New Mexico along with all my data. He told me that this came from (I didn’t buy this at the time but now…) that ship had crashed in Roswell back in the 50’s and that the button carried a virus called the ‘twitter bug’ and that the government had tried to cover it up by burring the evidence in Antarctica and that we were never meant to find it. He also said that I could be in danger if they knew that I had the button.

I believe him now because his broken and twisted body was found in the Rio Grande River the next day. I have destroyed the button and all my research, but I still felt that I should write down some kind of record of what happened.

Beware! The twitter bug is spreading………………………I have to go post my tweet now………………………………………………………..
**Thanks for reading my story with the word prompt 'broken'. Keep a look out for next weeks story.
COME READ OTHER STORIES AT:

3 comments:

  1. OMG! As an avid fan of the X-Files I ADORED this. I'll have to go tweet this now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fantastic, and I am not a Sci-Fi reader normally!

    ReplyDelete